When it comes eating more fruits and vegetables, there are a few simple steps that can keep your food safe and clean while reducing the risk of food-borne illnesses. Pre-made produce washes are all the popular craze these days and while they can serve a purpose, they are also expensive and not necessary. Before investing in a pre-made produce wash, try this DIY recipe that is not only easy to make and extremely effective but also guaranteed not to break the bank!
- 2 cups of cold water
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Mix well and pour into a spray bottle. When ready to clean produce, spray 2-3 times and let sit for 2 minutes. Rinse off with tap water before consuming.
Besides properly cleaning your produce, here are a few other tips to keep things safe and clean as you plan to pump up your produce intake in 2019!
- For produce that contains skin, gently rub produce under plain water before peeling to prevent dirt and bacteria from passing between knife and fruit or vegetables.
- For items that are a little firmer, such as potatoes, cucumbers or melons, gently rub with a produce brush before cutting.
- Get in the habit of drying produce with a clean cloth or paper towel to reduce any additional bacteria that may be present.
- Always use separate cutting boards for raw meats, fruits, and vegetables to avoid cross-contamination. Color-coded cutting boards can be useful to help remember what is used for what.
From at-home recipes to deciding on a healthy place to eat out, Ochsner Eat Fit has you covered! Click here to learn more about the program and how you can incorporate healthy eating in your every day life.