Healthy Halloween Treats Without Scary High Calories
Halloween is all about tricks and treats, but there’s nothing fun about finding out that your “treats” are a nutritional horror story. It’s even harder to get away from the frightful calories when there’s stashes of candy and other sugary Halloween goodies all around you this time of year.
Did you know that just a few packs of candy and fun-size candy bars, along with a couple of handfuls of M&M's and candy corn, can quickly top 1,000 calories (and more than six days worth of added sugar)? That's not even counting any "real" food that you may have had that day, nor any cocktails or sugary pumpkin-spiced lattes.
So whether you’re preparing a few Halloween goodies for yourself and some friends while serving as greeters to trick-or-treaters or if you’re throwing a huge bash for a crowdful of ghosts and goblins, consider having a few of these low-sugar, low-calorie Halloween-themed foods and drinks on hand. That way when temptation strikes, you'll have a variety of options ranging from sweet to savory to indulge in, guilt-free.
To see all the full recipes for these delicious treats below, check out Molly’s full article on NOLA.com.
- Cinnamon Biscotti
- Makes 15 servings
- Per serving: 133 calories, 12 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 113 mg sodium, 4 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams fiber, <1 gram sugar, 4 grams protein.
- Low Carb Pumpkin Latte
- Makes 12 servings
- Per serving: 25 calories, 0 fat, 0 saturated fat, 3 grams carbohydrate, <1 gram fiber, 1.5 grams sugar, 1.5 grams protein.
- Spiced Pumpkin Seeds from Real Simple Magazine
- Makes 8 servings
- Per serving: 152 calories, 13 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 54 mg sodium, 44 grams carbohydrate, 0 grams fiber, 0 grams sugar, 6 grams protein.
- Pureed Black Cat in Cobwebs
- Makes 6 servings
- Per serving: 310 calories, 4.5 grams fat, 1.2 grams saturated fat, 145 mg sodium, 50 grams carbohydrate, 12 grams fiber, 3.5 grams sugar, 20 grams protein.
- No-Bake Pumpkin Spice Protein Truffles
- Makes 20 servings
- Per serving: 80 calories, 5 grams fat, 1.4 grams saturated fat, 60 mg sodium, 3 grams carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3.5 grams sugar, 6 grams protein.