Easy Foil Packet Recipes Cooked on your Grill
Foil packet recipes are thought to be reserved for cooking on a grill, by the campfire, or in the oven. But, during this post hurricane period, foil packet meals can be a life saver if a grill is the only means of cooking. These foil packet recipes can be prepared in advance for quick low-calorie meals with easy cleanup to boot!
Try serving with grilled veggies like yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, or green beans. Slicing vegetables in strips or thin rounds allow for faster cooking. Add olive oil to prevent drying out or sticking. Place in foil packets for steaming.
Mediterranean Salmon in Foil Packets
- 4 salmon fillets about 6 ounces each
- ½ cup prepared pesto
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oven to 350F (180C). Spray four large pieces of aluminum foil with cooking spray.
- Place each salmon fillet on top of a piece of aluminum foil. Top each fillet with about 2 tablespoons pesto, ¼ cup of onion, ¼ of the tomatoes, and approximately 2 tablespoons of feta cheese.
- Seal the aluminum foil packets by folding them over the fish and pinching tightly to close. Place the foil packets on a large baking sheet and bake for approximately 25 minutes. Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
Serving: 1 foil packet | Calories: 395 | Carbohydrates: 6.9 grams | Protein: 41 grams | Fat: 22 grams | Saturated Fat: 3 grams | Cholesterol: 123 milligrams | Sodium: 328 milligrams | Fiber: 0.5 grams | Sugar: 2.7 grams
Shrimp Scampi Foil Packets
- 1 ½ pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, or more, to taste
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill over high heat. If using an oven, heat to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp, butter, wine, garlic, rosemary, thyme, lemon juice, lemon zest and red pepper flakes, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cut four sheets of foil, about 12-inches long. Divide shrimp mixture into 4 equal portions and add to the center of each foil in a single layer.
- Fold up all 4 sides of each foil packet over the shrimp, covering completely and sealing the packets closed.
- Place foil packets on the grill or in the oven and cook until just cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
Serving: 1 foil packet | Calories: 191 | Carbohydrates: 3.2 grams | Protein: 15.9 grams | Fat: 12.8 grams | Saturated Fat: 7.4 grams | Cholesterol: 174 milligrams | Sodium: 684 milligrams | Fiber: 0.5 grams | Sugar: 0.3 grams
Chicken Veggie Foil Packets:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- ½ pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1½ cups fresh baby carrots
- 1 cup pearl onions
- ½ cup julienned sweet red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Flatten chicken breasts to 1/2-in. thickness; place each on a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Layer the mushrooms, carrots, onions and red pepper over chicken, sprinkle with pepper, thyme and, if desired, salt.
- Fold foil around chicken and vegetables and seal tightly. Place on a baking sheet. Bake until chicken juices run clear, about 20 minutes. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.
1 serving: 175 calories | 3 grams fat | 63 milligrams cholesterol | 100 milligrams sodium | 11 grams carbohydrate (6 grams sugars, 2 grams fiber) | 25 grams protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Curry Spiced Foil Packet Potatoes and Eggs
- 4 cups (around 1 pound) of sliced golden or red potatoes (or diced sweet potato can be substituted)
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove)
- ½ teaspoon curry powder seasoning with turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt and black pepper each
- 4 large eggs
- Optional topping – salsa, avocado, red pepper flakes, fresh herbs, parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice your potatoes and toss them with olive oil and your seasonings.
- Place about 1 cup of potatoes on grill or baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes or grill at 450F, turning potatoes once, half way through cooking. (the potatoes should be tender but not overcooked). While potatoes are baking, make your foil packets and place on a baking sheet.
- Once potatoes are grilled or baked, place 1 cup of cooked potatoes into each foil packet.
- Crack an egg on top of each foil pack.
- Place sheet pan back in oven for about 8-10 minutes or until yolks look firm but not overcooked.
- Garnish with any extra toppings such as herbs, avocado, salsa, cheese or dressing of choice.
Serving Size: 1 foil packet without topping Calories: 262 | Sugar: 2.2 grams Sodium: 243.9 milligrams
Fat: 14.6 grams Saturated Fat: 3 grams | Carbohydrates: 25.1 grams | Fiber: 2.8 grams Protein: 9.3 grams | Cholesterol: 186 milligram