Controlling Acne in Your College Years
What is Acne and Why Does It Affect Young People the Most?
Acne is a skin condition where parts of your face and body become blemished. It is most common in adolescents because during this time, there is an increase in estrogen and testosterone, leading to excessive oil, bacteria and clogged pores.
Activities That May Worsen Your Acne
- Frequently touching your skin with unwashed hands or other objects such as your cell phones
- Hard and excessive scrubbing of the skin
- Heavy sweating
- Not cleansing your face/body nightly
- Leaving on residual makeup
Tips to Overcome Acne
- Don’t pick at, squeeze or rub visible blemishes
- Clean your face twice a day with a gentle cleanser
- Use skin moisturizers and sun protection
- When applying makeup, use gentle, clean brushes
- Identify your skin type. This is a major key in determining what products work best for you.
Cheap, Yet Effective Facial/Body Acne Products
Being that most college students are on a budget and must be careful with their money, here are a few inexpensive, yet highly effective and dermatologist recommended, acne preventing products. You can find these at local drugstores, supermarkets, or online.
- Cerave Hydrating Gentle Cleanser
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
- La Roche Posay Hydrating Gentle Cleanser
- PanOxyl Benzoyl Peroxide Wash
- Differin Adapalene 0.1% Gel
- La Roche Posay Effaclar Adapalene 0.1% Gel
- Cerave Facial Moisturizer AM
- Cetaphil Pro Oil Absorbing Moisturizer