What is Acne and Why Does It Affect Young People the Most?
Acne is a skin condition where parts of your body become blemished. It is most common in adolescents because there is an increase in skin oils resulting in blocked follicles and increased bacteria.
Activities That May Worsen Your Acne
- Too many oils on your skin
- Frequently touching your skin with unwashed hands or other objects
- Hard and excessive scrubbing of the skin
- Heavy sweating
Tips to Overcome Acne
- Don’t pick at, squeeze, or rub visible blemishes
- Clean your face twice a day with a gentle cleanser
- Use skin moisturizers and sun block
- When applying makeup, use gentle, clean, brushes
- Identify your skin type. This is a major key in determining what products work best for you.
Cheap, Yet Effective Facial/Body Acne Products
Being that most college students are on a budget and must be careful with their money, here are a few inexpensive, yet highly effective and dermatologist recommended, acne preventing products. You can find these at local drugstores, supermarkets, or online.
- Dove Soap Bars ($4)
- Cetaphil Gentle Facial Cleanser ($7)
- Aveeno Clear Complexion Facial Cleanser ($7)
- Biore Deep Cleansing Charcoal Pore Strips ($8)
- Eucerin Daily Hydration Lotion with SPF15 ($9)
- Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel and Aloe Vera Toner (Unscented) ($11)
- Shea Moisture African Black Soap Acne Care Kit ($20)