Here Are the Best and Worst Meatless Burgers
As more of us try to cut back on meat or eliminate it from our diet altogether, we look to meat substitutes to get our protein. Fortunately enough, there are countless options of plant-based burgers to help us get the protein we need, and still enjoy the age-old tradition of backyard barbecues.
That said, some of the alternative meat options out there can be loaded with far more carbs and sodium than a regular burger, and some with not much protein at all. So if you’re looking for healthy options to add some variety to your diet, these are the very best meatless burgers your grocery dollars can buy.
Pro tip: When buying meatless burgers, be sure to check the sodium content and look for options that provide at least two to three times more protein than carbohydrates.
Beyond Burger | Vegan, GF
- 250 calories, 18 grams fat, 6 grams sat fat, 390 mg sodium, 3 grams carb, 2 grams fiber, 20 grams protein
- Made with pea protein, oil, potato starch, yeast extract, gum arabic, beet juice extract, annatto for color
- Relatively straightforward ingredient list, high in protein, low in carbs
Morning Star Grillers Original Burger | Vegetarian, not GF
- 130 calories, 5 grams fat, 0.5 grams sat fat, 390 mg sodium, 8 grams carb, 4 grams fiber, 16 grams protein
- Made with wheat and soy protein, egg whites, vegetable oil, corn and potato starch, yeast extract, herbs and seasonings
Impossible Burger | Vegan, GF [soy leghemoglobin tested on animals]
- 240 calories, 14 grams fat, 8 grams sat fat, 370 mg sodium, 9 grams carb, 3 grams fiber, 19 grams protein
- Made with soy and potato protein, soy leghemoglobin, yeast extract, oil blend, vitamins and minerals
- Much of this burger’s red color and meat-like flavor are derived from genetically-engineered soy leghemoglobin, which is made in a lab with not-so-natural ingredients
For more food and fitness tips as well as healthy recipes, sign up for our newsletter.
Boca All American Veggie Burger| Vegan, GF
- 100 calories, 4 grams fat, 1 gram sat fat, 350 mg sodium, 6 grams carb, 4 grams fiber, 13 grams protein
- Made with soy protein concentrate, reduced fat cheddar cheese, oil blend, herbs and spices
- 130 calories, 6 grams fat, 0.5 grams sat fat, 250 mg sodium, 13 grams carb, 5 grams fiber, 5 grams protein
- Made with carrots, onions, green beans, oat bran, soybeans, zucchini, canola oil, peas, broccoli, corn, soy flour, arrowroot powder, corn starch, garlic, corn meal
- A great source of veggies, just not enough protein to be a burger ‘meat’ replacer
Amy’s Organic Sonoma Veggie Burgers | GF, Vegan
- 130 calories, 5 grams fat, 0.5 grams sat fat, 410 mg sodium, 18 grams carb, 3 grams fiber, 4 grams protein
- Made with quinoa, GF oats, walnuts, mushrooms, potatoes, chickpea flour, vegetables, oil, herbs and spices
- More than four times the carbs than protein
This article was originally published on WGNO as part of Molly Kimball’s “Love it, Like it, Hate it!” segment.