Best and Worst Options for Coconut Water
With coconut water’s popularity amongst many consumers, finding this specialty health drink in your grocery store is no longer a challenge, as this beverage can be found in just about any mainstream store today. But do most brands live up to the hype?
Even though coconut water does deserve much of the press about its health benefits, not all types of coconut water do, as some brands are not as pure as they may lead you to believe.
To help determine if that coconut water you’re drinking is really as healthy as you think it is, we take a look at the best and worst options for coconut water in one of our recent “Love it, Like It, Hate it” segments.
Some general nutritional facts about coconut water:
- Coconut water has more potassium than a banana – as much as 600 mg potassium per bottle/carton/can. Potassium can help prevent muscle cramping and reduce blood pressure.
- 8 ounces of unflavored coconut water contains ~40-70 calories, ~10 grams carbs, and ~10 grams sugar (minimal amounts of protein or fat).
- Plain unflavored coconut water: Various brands of plain unflavored coconut water are available, including Blue Monkey, Whole Foods 365 and Target’s Simply Balanced.
- Zico Natural: This is the best brand for electrolyte replenishment, since it has more sodium than most coconut water brands (180 mg sodium per 14 ounces, compared to 35 to 105 mg per 14-ounce serving, for most other brands).
- Harmless Harvest 100% Raw Coconut Water with Fair Trade Coffee: Coffee meets coconut water. Contains no added sugar, is dairy-free/vegan and has 50 mg caffeine per bottle.
- Cocotein Coconut Water (Original, Fruit Punch, Tropical):
- Water, whey protein, coconut water concentrate, artificially sweetened with Sucralose
- Per bottle: 100 calories, 20 grams protein, 5 grams carbs & sugar, 250 mg potassium, 85 mg sodium
- Flavored Coconut Water: Most are blends of coconut water with fruit juices and fruit puree. These have more sugar than unflavored coconut water, but at least it’s naturally-occurring fruit sugar.
- Coconut water with added sugar: Examples include Zico Chocolate Coconut Water, O.N.E. Coconut Water with Mango and Vita Coco Sport.
For more details on this topic, read Molly’s full “Love it, Like it, Hate it” article on WGNO New Orleans.