7 Tips for Traveling With Diabetes
With summer in full swing and warm weather upon us, you are probably gearing up for a much needed vacation. Whether it be to the beach for a long weekend or a tropical paradise overseas, it’s important for those with diabetes to plan ahead. Here are some important tips for diabetics planning to travel:
- Make an appointment to see your diabetes care team a few weeks before you go .
- Prepare for changes in time zones, schedules, and meals, including how that will impact your diabetes during the trip.
- Make sure your immunizations are up to date.
- Get extra prescriptions for your diabetes medicines and testing supplies from the pharmacy, and check the expiration dates on all medications and testing supplies.
- Get a travel letter from your physician explaining that you have diabetes so that items can be packed and carried in carry-on luggage.
- Create a packing list and make sure the bring the following items:
- Extra amounts of diabetes medication and supplies that you would normally need.
- Extra batteries for your blood glucose meter, insulin pump and other diabetes supplies.
- Insulin that is in use - keep with you at room temperature during travel.
- Extra insulin kept in a cold pack until it can be refrigerated.
- Snacks: pack crackers with peanut butter or cheese, fruit, yogurt or diabetes meal replacement shakes.
- Low blood sugar treatment such as glucose tablets, glucose gels or sugar containing hard candies.
- Identification band with your information and emergency contacts written in every language of every country you are visiting at all times.
- Medical insurance cards and phone numbers.
- Once you have arrived, take care of your feet:
- Wear shoes that are closed toe shoes with a protective sole
- Socks should be of cotton material and should be changed daily and inspect shoes before putting them on
- Do not walk barefoot, indoors, outdoors, on the beach, or by the pool, day or night. Remember: Socks are NOT footwear.
To schedule an appointment with a diabetes specialist, click here.