As the calendar turns to spring, many of us may wish that the beautiful weather that accompanies the season would last forever. While hurricane season may be the furthest thing from our minds as we enjoy all of the beauty that springtime has to offer, now is the time to look ahead and starting planning for the possibility of a large storm making landfall near you.
Here are a few things to include as you prepare your disaster kit for hurricane season:
- A list of medications that you and your loved ones take, along with at least a week’s supply of your regular medications and medical supplies. Be sure to include a list of instructions, doctors’ orders and dosage recommendations in case you need assistance communicating with others.
- Extra batteries for items like hearing aids, radios and flashlights.
- A first aid kit with items like ace bandages, Band-Aids and personal hygiene items.
- A two day supply of non-perishable foods like peanut butter, protein bars, canned goods, meal replacement shakes and cheese crackers.
- A three day supply of clean, drinkable water.
- A waterproof container, preferably one that is insulated, for storing everything in your disaster kit.
- A communication plan – In addition to having your mobile phone and a back-up battery, talk with family or friends ahead of time to develop a plan. Designate a place to meet up with them in the event you are unable to reach them by phone.
By taking the necessary steps now, you can ensure that you are prepared for all possibilities once hurricane season arrives. For more information on how to prepare yourself and your family for a hurricane, click HERE.