- We’re Leading the Pack Dr. Vivek Sabharwal launched Ochsner’s Neurocritical Care Unit almost 10 years ago. What started as a five-bed unit is now a 38-bed unit dedicated to Neuro intensive care unit or ICU. That makes it one of the biggest neurocritical care units in the country!
- We’re Experts at Managing Neurological Conditions The Neurocritical care team provides intensive care management of patients with life-threatening neurological and neurosurgical illnesses such as massive stroke, bleeding in or around the brain, anoxic brain injury after cardiac arrest, brain tumors, brain infections, brain trauma, status epilepticus, nerve and muscle diseases, spinal cord disorders and the cardiopulmonary complications of brain injury in addition to other medical and cardiac critical care illnesses.
- We’re Passionate About Patient Care Ochsner’s unit is staffed by highly trained professionals who specialize in the care of critically ill neuro patients. With both neurology and anesthesia backgrounds, our team provides state-of-the-art neuro intensive care with a passion for excellence and compassion for patients and their families. While treating patients with catastrophic brain and spinal cord injury or disease, our team builds relationships with family members and caretakers to determine the most appropriate goals for the patient's care.
- We’re Focused on Recovery Ochsner is ranked in the highest percentage by U.S. News and World Report for direct hospital to home discharges. The duration that patients stay in Ochsner’s Neurocritical Care Unit depends on the severity of the underlying condition. Once patients become more stable and meet the standards for baseline neurological functions, they may be transferred out of neurocritical care to a regular floor bed, rehab or home.
- We’re Nationally Recognized The Neurocritical Care Unit has been named one of the best fifty Neurology/Neurosurgery programs in the country by US News and World Report – for the past five years. In addition, patient survival rate is ranked as one of the highest in the country.
- We’re a Collaborative Team A multidisciplinary team of specially trained physicians, nurses, therapists and other professionals provides collaborative, coordinated and attentive care in the neurocritical care unit. The team now has seven board-certified neurocritical care physicians – and isn’t stopping there! The Neurocritical Care Unit plans to expand with more advanced practice providers, fellows, residents, nurses, pharmacists, therapists and more to better care for patients.
Learn more about neurocritical care at Ochsner here.