This is an important time of year for our young athletes who participate in sports. As a requirement for participation in middle school sports, these young athletes must get their pre-participation physical exams. The primary goal of this evaluation and exam is to promote and support the health, safety and well-being of our middle school athletes.
Here are 5 reasons every middle-school sports athlete should get a physical:
- To facilitate and maximize safe participation in sports. Safety is always a huge concern for young children playing sports.
- To detect potentially life-threatening or disabling conditions. Physicals play an important role in monitoring your child’s growth, development and health.
- To detect conditions that may increase the risk or predispose the athlete or others to injury while participating in sports. This is also a good time to discuss the importance of helmets and protective gear during sports activities.
- To screen for conditions that require a treatment plan before or during participation of sport.
- To provide opportunity to initiate discussion regarding health-related topics. This is the perfect time to get your child comfortable with seeing a physician and show them the importance of checking on their health all throughout their lives.