5 Benefits of Vitamin C Serum for Your Skin
When it comes to skincare, we often want to address hydration, fine lines, redness and hyperpigmentation. You may be surprised to know vitamin C is one of the best anti-aging ingredients addressing these common concerns. Vitamin C is safe for most skin types and key to a smooth and even complexion. Five benefits of vitamin C include:
- Hydrates and brightens: Vitamin C retains moisture in the skin and helps with dullness and dark spots by preventing melanin production, giving skin a youthful glow.
- Reduces redness and hyperpigmentation: As an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory agent, vitamin C protects the skin from free radicals, which are environmental elements that can cause redness and irritation. Hyperpigmentation includes sunspots, age spots and melasma. By preventing melanin production, brown spots and hyperpigmentation are lightened, evening out skin tone.
- Increases collagen: Collagen promotes skin firmness, and vitamin C can help increase collagen production. By increasing collagen, the appearance of fine lines is diminished, allowing the skin to look toned.
- Protects against sun damage: As an antioxidant, Vitamin C protects the skin from free radicals, pollutants and UV damage.
- Heals Wounds: Vitamin C’s ability to increase collagen production is key to tissue repair and linked to wound healing, including blemishes or scarring that may have been caused by acne.
Incorporating vitamin C into your skincare routine
The body receives vitamin C through nutrients in food and supplements. Our bodies do not produce vitamin C. Due to our gut’s limitation to absorb vitamin C, topical application is the best course of action for your skin. You can add a vitamin C serum to your skincare routine and reap the benefits of using this product over time. It takes an average of six to eight weeks to see results.
Vitamin C serum can be used in the morning or at night, and you can use it once or twice a day. It is recommended not to mix Vitamin C with any retinoid products; therefore, most people use the serum in the morning, which also helps provide protection from free radicals throughout the day. Before using any product, even if it’s safe for all skin types, it is always best to do a small patch test. Apply a small amount on the skin and wait for 24 hours. If you do not experience any side effects, including irritation, rash, redness or hives, you can move forward with using the serum.
Vitamin C is very unstable. Therefore, it is always important to check the expiration date of the product. If exposed to sunlight, the product can be oxidized and inactivated. Vitamin C is the perfect antioxidant to protect, repair and tone your skin.