14 Ways to Practice Self-Love
Love is in the air – can you feel it?!
During this time of year, we celebrate our love for the special people in our lives. Flowers, chocolates, dinners out, Valentine’s Day cards and more – we go all out to really show our loved ones how much we care for and appreciate them. But did you ever consider celebrating the love you have for yourself?
Practicing self-care and self-love are imperative for our physical and mental health and allows you to bring more positivity and confidence into your day-to-day interactions and relationships. After all, the relationship you have with yourself is what sets the tone for every other relationship in your life. You have to love yourself first before you can give love to those around you.
So this Valentine’s Day, give yourself some loving, too, with these simple self-love practices. You may not be able to get to all of them in one day, but make it a goal to try each one throughout the month of February to start incorporating them into your daily life.
Here are my top 14 self-love practices:
- Start your day with five to ten minutes of meditation. If you’ve never meditated before, try following guided meditation videos on YouTube or an app like Headspace. Try to avoid all distractions while doing so.
- Say this mantra out loud and repeat as many times as needed throughout your day: “I love and accept myself for all that I am.” Our words are very powerful, especially those that we say to ourselves. When you find yourself letting negative thoughts in, use this mantra to remind yourself just how amazing you are.
- Read or listen to personal development materials. You can either choose a great book or podcast that will help you grow your mindset.
- Get your sweat on! Exercise releases endorphins, which will lift your mood and help you feel better both physically and mentally.
- Unplug from all social media and technology for at least an hour. Be fully present with your family, friends or even just yourself without the distractions of technology.
- Get outside and enjoy the fresh air. Go for a hike or a long walk.
- Try something new you’ve been wanting to do. Enroll in that dance class, make the art you’ve been wanting to do, take the cooking lesson or try the yoga or spin class you’ve been eyeing up at the gym.
- Pamper yourself. Get a pedicure, a fresh haircut or buy a new outfit – anything that that will help you relax and feel confident.
- Have a dance party. You can’t shake your booty without a smile on your face, can you? Really… go ahead and try it! I bet you’re smiling just thinking about it!
- Make a list of everything you’re grateful for in your life. Revisit that list every few days.
- Surround yourself with positive people. When you’re surrounded by positivity, it’s more likely that you will stay positive, too.
- Make a list of everything you love about yourself.
- Fuel your body with healthy, wholesome and nutrient-dense foods. Healthy food is key to a healthy mind.
- Smile! And do it a lot.
These are all practices you can add to your daily routine that will give you an extra dose of self-love and help you to become the best version of yourself from here on out. While you’re at it, why not share these rituals with your loved ones so they, too, can feel the (self) love? I know I’m feeling better already just thinking about doing these wonderful things for myself.
Happy Valentine’s Day!