Black and Red Lentil Chili - Vegan (Recipe)
As we move into the fall season, soups are a great way to warm up while also getting great nutrients!
Recipe adapted from: blog.fatfreevegan.com
Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
- 1 large onion about 2 cups or 1/2 lb., chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, any color, chopped about 1 cup or 5 oz.
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon mexican oregano or regular oregano
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder or to taste
- 1/4 cup split red lentils or masoor dal rinsed and picked over
- 1/4 cup black lentils, dry
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 16-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- Add onion to a pressure cooker; cook until they begin to brown - adding water by the tablespoon if they start to stick. Add the peppers and garlic and cook for another couple of minutes, adding water as needed.
- Add all the dry spices and the lentils and cook while stirring for another minute. Stir in the vegetable broth, soy milk and tomatoes. Lock the lid in place and bring to high pressure. After 10 minutes at high pressure, remove from heat or turn off. Allow pressure to come down naturally for at least 10 minutes.
- Release the pressure, and open the lid carefully. Stir, and check that lentils are tender – cook until soft. Add the vinegar and soy sauce. Add additional broth or water if chili is too thick. Serve sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro!