You’re a busy person, and you’ve got questions. Ochsner wants to help. From the comfort of your own home, Ochsner can give you healthy living tips and urgent care information right when you need it, using Alexa-enabled devices, such as Amazon Echo, and on Google Assistant, which you can use on your phone, Google Assistant-enabled speakers and other devices.
Alexa is a cloud-based voice service from Amazon. Alexa is the brain behind Amazon Echo and other Alexa-enabled devices. Using Alexa is as simple as asking a question. Just ask, and Alexa will respond instantly.
How to use Alexa:
- Download the latest Alexa app on your phone or tablet. You can also go to https://alexa.amazon.com from Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Internet Explorer (10 or higher) on your Wi-Fi enabled computer.
- Plug the power adapter into Amazon Echo and then into a power outlet. Alexa will greet you.
- Follow the guided instructions in the app to connect Amazon Echo to a Wi-Fi network.
- Talk to Alexa. To get started, say the "wake word" and then speak naturally to Alexa. Your Echo device is set to respond to the wake word "Alexa" by default, but you can change it at any time.
What is an Alexa Skill?
A “skill’’ is like an app that lets you do more with Alexa and create a more personalized experience. Currently, Ochsner skill for Alexa can help you locate nearby Ochsner urgent care locations and text you contact information and hours. It also provides three different types of daily health tips: for new moms, healthy retirement and managing diabetes.
To use Ochsner’s Alexa Skill, you can enable it via the Amazon Alexa Skill Store (it’s free) on the web or via the Skills & Games directory on your Amazon Alexa mobile app. Once you’ve enabled the skill, you can directly use it by just telling your device:
“Alexa, open Ochsner”
Remember: Ochsner is pronounced formally (“OX-NER”) and this is how Alexa will most reliably understand it.
More subject areas will be added in the future. Right now, you can ask Alexa these four questions with the Ochsner skill for Alexa:
- “Alexa, ask Ochsner where the nearest urgent care is.’’
- “Alexa, ask Ochsner for the diabetes tip of the day.’’
- “Alexa, ask Ochsner for the healthy retirement tip of the day.’’
- “Alexa, ask Ochsner for the new moms tip of the day.’’
What is Google Assistant?
Google Assistant is a virtual voice assistant you can use on your phone and other devices. On your phone, to get started, touch and hold the home button on eligible Android phones or download the Google Assistant app on the App Store. You can also get hands-free help around the house with Google Assistant-enabled speakers, such as Google Home. Just start with “Hey Google.”
What is a Google Action?
Similar to Alexa’s Skills – Google Actions function like voice apps for Google Assistant, adding new features to your Google Assistant enabled device. Ochsner’s new Google Action, which you can enable from the Google Action Directory or via your Google Assistant Mobile App, can help you locate Ochsner Urgent Care centers, and provide you with daily health tips, for New Moms, Healthy Retirement and managing diabetes. You can invoke Ochsner’s Google Assistant Action by telling your Google Assistant: “OK Google, Talk to Ochsner.”
Every day we are finding new ways to use technology to make our lives easier – finding great care and health tips should be no different. Want to learn more about what Ochsner is doing to stay on the cutting-edge? Click here.