With fall still in the air, you’ve probably seen a variety of pumpkin-flavored beverages advertised on menus at your favorite coffee shop or neighborhood café. With a multitude of yummy options out there, it can be hard to resist the urge to try one. But how can you be sure that the one you’re trying isn’t loaded with sugar and calories?
To help prevent a sugar overload, check out our best and worst picks for pumpkin-flavored drinks below in one of our recent “Love it, Like It, Hate it” segments.
Note: Nutrition information noted below for a medium (16 oz) drink, except Smoothie King’s 20 oz smoothie.
- 9 calories, 0 saturated fat, 2 grams carbs, 0 gram sugar, 0 gram protein
- 100% guilt-free – just add your choice of milk and no-calorie sweetener.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Protein Shake
- ½ cup no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream (or Arctic Zero Vanilla Maple) – optional
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk or skim/low fat milk
- ¾ cup 2% Greek yogurt
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or ½ tsp cinnamon & ¼ tsp nutmeg)
- 1 packet of Swerve Sweetener
- Add ice and blend.
Nutrition facts vary with milk and ice cream selections; provides 25 grams protein, 3.5 grams fiber; zero added sugar, and 200 to 300 calories.
Smoothie King Pumpkin Spice Wellness Blend with Chobani Yogurt (Request “Make it Skinny”)
- 250 calories, 0 saturated fat, 45 grams carbs, 45 grams sugar, 15 grams protein
- Pumpkin spiced puree, Chobani Greek yogurt, non-fat milk, vanilla protein blend, immune enhancer
Both of these beverages pack in a meal’s worth of calories and carbs, with more than two day’s worth of added sugar!
McDonalds Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 340 calories, 6 grams saturated fat, 51 grams carbs, 48 grams sugar, 12 grams protein
Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 420 calories, 10 grams saturated fat, 2 grams carbs, 49 grams sugar, 14 grams protein
For more details on this topic, read Molly’s full “Love it, Like it, Hate it” article on WGNO New Orleans.