Warmer weather is in the air – and what better time to say goodbye to colder days than this Cinco de Mayo. It’s time to pull out that patio furniture and enjoy some good friends and good food outdoors.
Of course, nothing says fiesta more than a cold margarita and a big bowl of salsa and chips. But if you’d like to give your guests a healthier option at your get-together this year, try going for tortilla chips that pack less calories and sodium than the typical bag on grocery shelves.
In one of our recent “Love it, Like It, Hate it” segments, we address which tortilla chips to add to your spread this year and which ones to avoid.
Beanitos White Bean with Sea Salt
- Per 12-chip serving: 140 calories, 55 mg sodium, 6 grams fiber
- Added bonus of 4 grams protein per serving
- Ingredients: Whole navy beans, whole grain rice, pure sunflower and/or safflower oil, guar bean gum, sea salt.
El Milagro Mexican Kitchen Style
- Per 10-chip serving: 140 calories, 0 sodium, 2 grams fiber
- Ingredients: Stone Ground White Corn, Corn Oil, Trace of Lime
- One of the few tortilla chips on shelves with ZERO sodium
Garden of Eatin’ Blue Corn Tortilla Chips – “made with organic blue corn”
- Per 16-chip serving: 140 calories, 10 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber
- Ingredients: Organic blue corn, expeller pressed oleic safflower and/sunflower oil, sea salt
Baked Tostito Scoops
- Per 16-chip serving: 120 calories, 140 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber
- Ingredients: Whole corn, corn, vegetable oil, salt
- These are lower-calorie because they are lower in fat (3 grams per serving, compared to 7 grams for most brands)
Tostito’s Artisan Recipe – Baked Three Cheese Queso
- Per 8-chip serving: 150 calories, 120 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber
- The name is very misleading – they’re actually fried, not baked, so they are not low-calorie
- Not gluten-free like most corn-based tortilla chips
- Ingredients: Corn, vegetable oil, whole corn, corn starch, maltodextrin, whole white wheat, whole triticale, whole oats, whole rye, whole barley, salt, whole millet, whole buckwheat, whole brown rice
On the Border Tortilla Chips
- Per 7-chip serving: 140 calories, 80 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber
- One of the highest calorie tortilla chips considering there are only 7 chips per serving
- Ingredients: whole grain corn, vegetable oil (contains one or more of the following: canola oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, safflower oil and/or soybean oil) and sea salt.
For more details on this topic, watch Molly’s “Love it, Like it, Hate it” segment on WGNO New Orleans.